These are orangy, literally orangy…sends a spark of zest shooting into your mouth when you take the first bite…
If you love citrus especially oranges then these are for you. I was craving to eat something sweet and these
are what I came up with…
The trick to any good cupcake is creaming the butter and sugar till its light and fluffy, this will create a fluffier cupcake. I have noticed most cupcakes when flavoured (even vanilla cupcakes) don’t do enough justice to the flavour. So to achieve my wish to get the zesty flavourness of oranges to come through I used 1 1/2 cup orange juice and only 1/4 cup milk, plus I added grated zest.
Before I started making them my mum strictly told me to a BIG BATCH, so this batch yields 29 cupcakes it may be too much for you so you can half the recipe. Even though I made a big batch it sadly only lasted 36 hours, literally 1 1/2 days. So be warned of these irresistible scrumptious cupcakes…
- 4 cup flour
- 3 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 225g butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoon orange zest (small)
- 230 gram butter softened
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the flour and baking powder. Beat the butter on its own for about 2 minutes, then while the beater is still on pour in the sugar. Beat till its light, fluffy and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating till well incorporated.
- Now fold (don't beat) the flour and orange juice, in three lots, alternating between the two. Mix in the orange zest. You'll get a slightly thick batter. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes, or till slightly brown.
- The butter should not be melted, just softened to room temperature. Beat on high till white and fluffy. Add the rest of the ingredients. If the frosting is to too thin add more icing sugar or if its too thick add more orange juice or milk.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl to avoid small shell pieces in the mixtures.
- 2 BIG oranges will give you 1 1/2 cup orange juice.